Monday, September 14, 2009

Business?

Back on track! During the last week I spent large parts of each day doing art. It's amazing all the roles an artist plays in creating a real business from the art...sort of reminds me of being a mother! Many art blogs speak to the importance of balancing time creating with time doing business...and doing the creating as more than a hobby...as in--even when you don't feel like it!

Today on Fine Art Views I was met with the following jump start questions (or guilt trip questions, depending on the mood!): "A business cannot succeed if a myriad of jobs remain neglected. Artists are no different. Do you take the time to balance your books? Do you regularly communicate with collectors, dealers, etc.? Do you keep your studio and office clean and organized? Do you set aside regular time to assess your art and business in relation to where you want to be? Do you spend enough time in the studio creating? Do you spend enough time with all the other necessary jobs?" So... it must be time for a business plan reality review, and a thorough cleaning...but, first I want to get some more creating done!

Framing, and finishing are on the agenda, including varnish on the doodlebox pictured here, done as a donation for the local cancer walk to be held October 3rd. The box includes words to the second verse of my favorite hymn: "Make me a channel of your peace. Where there's despair in life, let me bring hope. Where there is darkness, only light. And where there's sadness, ever joy." I first heard this hymn in the funeral service for Princess Diana in 1997. The wording is from the prayer of St. Francis. My hope is that the box will be a blessing to whoever receives it as a doorprize at the event.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so smart. I love the doodlebox, and I love the motivation to be businessy!
Have you considered showcasing your work on etsy? I know it's a big world, but it might give a small channel for potential art-lovers to find your fabulous work.
www.etsy.com
Keep it up. You rock.