Friday, May 1, 2009

Susan Hart's Walkway Gallery Show


Was it already two weeks ago that I went to Kearney for Susan Hart's reception? It was a great day...guess I need to slow down, so I can reflect and share what is important. I know Susan from art camp at Halsey. The Association of Nebraska Art Clubs (ANAC) organizes an amazing painting fest every September at the state 4-H camp in the Nebraska National Forest near Halsey. Susan has been very successful in the last few years with her wonderful collages, mostly with painted tissues, using a lot of quinacridone gold, turquoisish colors, and her signature swirl motif. She has 22 paintings in a one-woman show currently in the Walkway Gallery of Kearney's Good Samaritan Hospital. One is shown on the left. (With permission from Sue Hart.) The reception was so nice--Lorie Line music was played live, the staff had even created very tasty cookies painted with frosting to match the artwork! My trip was so worth the effort. Not only because of getting to see Susan and her great art, but I ran into my UNK art professor, Larry Peterson, who told me about the third Thursday lecture at MONA which was happening later that night, and the Kearney Art Guild opening reception for their juried ANAC competition entries on display at Elements. I was able to take in all three events. I also met John Allen, CEO of the Kearney hospital, whose insightful photography graces the walls of that facility. Seeing his art helps explain why the hospital is so supportive and believes in the healing qualities of art. There are definitely some fine artistic spirits in Kearney. I am inspired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the posting about our gallery and Susan Hart's show. Your website is impressive. I now have it bookmarked. The next time I am on the road to our rural hospital partners, I will see if I can see some of your work.

John Allen